“The Giver” by Lois Lowry
This unforgettable story is a journey, told from the unique perspective of a young man named Jonas, in a uniquely presented literature study guide. He thinks he lives in a perfect world, with rules and order maintained for the good of the whole Community. When he comes of age, he is told he must report to a mysterious man with the title, The Receiver of Memory, where he will work as his apprentice. There, a whole new world opens up for Jonas as he learns of words, emotions, and memories that were previously unfamiliar to him. As his knowledge grows and his awareness of how isolated their lives are from the past, Jonas must decide what is best for the Community— to continue to shield them from the mistakes of the past, or share both the pain and the joys that a life full of emotion can bring.
Literature Study Guide
The Independent scholar presents a christian based study guide for the book “The Giver” by Lois Lowry. This Study includes:
- Reading comprehension questions
- Spelling/Vocabulary words
- Bible verses relevant to the story
- Many projects to choose from including science, art, history, cooking, creative/research writing and much more!
Each Independent Scholar study guide incorporates cultural, historical, and subject matter that is relevant to the book being studied. This study guide focuses on:
- “Sameness,” where one group of people decides that their way of life is best for all and impose those rules onto everyone.
- Lies versus truth.
- Rules/laws and why they are put into place, what makes having rules good, and what makes having rules bad.
- Society, how we treat others, how should we treat others regardless of class, gender, or age.
- This study is a perfect tool for diving deeper into history/social subjects such as Hitler, Nazi Germany, the Civil Rights Movement, Jim Crow laws, or another subject where one group of people tries to make everything and/or everyone the same.
This study guide is great for both individual and group use! It uses an easy lesson format that can be modified to fit all scheduling needs.
- 8.5″ x 11″ Glossy covered work book
- Grade level: 6th – 8th Grade
- Teaching duration: 2-3 months
- Number of lessons: 23
- Pages: 66
- Answer Guide: Free digital download with purchase of student work book.